Monday, June 25, 2012

What is Geocaching and Why? Why? Why?

A little over two years ago I was introduced to Geocaching due to the repeated tweets of a friend of mine who is quite the active participant in the hobby.  There were a few of us among his circle of friends that found ourselves intrigued.  One by one we learned what it was all about and started participating ourselves.  Basically, it's a sort of treasure hunt using a GPS device and posted coordinates on the Geocaching website.

While I was in Florida bringing my oldest daughter back to college, one in the group that had already begun caching took me out and showed me the ropes.  As I look back now at those first few caches, I'm struck by how many of them are archived.  More importantly, though, she gave me a well-rounded overview of the different cache types to get started.  I saw magnetic nanos stuck on sign-posts, film canisters in light-poles, toy chests loaded with goodies for the kids, and small caches with room for a few things.  I learned the ins and outs of travelbugs and the general rules - if you take something, leave something.

Armed with this knowledge, I started looking back home in the White Mountains for caches.  What I didn't know was what a mecca my area is for geocaching.  There are quite a number of local caches off all shapes, sizes, types, and difficulties.  My kids enjoyed it at first, then their attention waned a bit.  I've found other people to go caching with, but don't mind heading out on my own, either.

I still feel the best way to start Geocaching is to go out with an experienced Geocacher.  You can also read up on it at the Geocaching website or watch a series of videos:

http://www.geocaching.com/videos/#cat=cat:newbies&vid=-4VFeYZTTYs

If you're like me, you'll get hooked.  Nearly two years after I found my first cache, I just passed the 700 mark :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment